My mother’s lasagna has always been my favorite! It’s delicious, feeds by the 5,000s, and the leftovers always have my coworkers asking what I’m eating. Now I want to be legendary and have my own recipe for lasagna and as you all know I love a challenge, so I’m trying to make my own lasagna that’s not only delicious but also healthy! So, do you think I can do it? If you doubted me, I hope you’re pleasantly surprised!
Feeds 3 hungry souls:
-8oz. of ground beef
-2 tablespoons of olive oil
-one can of 14.5 petite diced, unsalted tomatoes
-2 cups of basil (add more if you’d like)
-2 cups of leafed spinach (same rule as the basil :))
-whole wheat no boil lasagna
-2 zucchini squashes (squashes sounds funny, right)
-1 16oz bag of parmesan cheese
1. Bring oil to a simmer on medium heat. Cook meat and add a little salt and pepper for taste.
2. Once you’ve browned the meat, place to the side. In a separate pan, bring tomatoes to a boil. Then add spinach and basil. Let simmer for 3-5 minutes. Mix in browned meat.
3. Cut each zucchini in half. Then cut in thin slices. Picture below shows what steps 1-3 looks like. 🙂
4. Add salt, pepper, and thyme to the zucchini and place in the microwave for two minutes.
5. Put a thin layer of sauce at the bottom of the pan you’ll be cooking your lasagna in.
6. Place no boil lasagna on top of the first layer of sauce. If you used a round pan like me, push down the lasagna until it breaks to fit.
7. Add first layer of zucchini evenly on top of noodles, add a layer of sauce, then generously sprinkle cheese.
8. Repeat step 7 twice more.
9. Place seran wrap TIGHTLY over lasagna. Put in microwave for 15 minutes. (Yes, MICROWAVE!
10. Set oven to “broil” Place lasagna in oven for 5 more minutes! and VOILA!
This was cooked in a smaller pan because I only live with one other person. You can easily double the ingredients and cook for more people or just have extra leftovers. 🙂 Enjoy!